Wednesday 21 December 2016

Star | Review (Fox)




It all looked so good, but only good from afar...


In a recent interview with Ebony Magazine, Lee Daniels spoke about his new show Star:



"We are in a very dangerous state right now in our country and I wanted White people to feel good about being White because right now, there’s a lot of hatred going on,” Daniels explains before further detailing the story he created. “It started out with this White girl that was just badass and would do anything: kill, rob, have sex, whatever to get to the top. Then, I realised as I was writing, that it was more about a girl group. Their whole world is about what happened to me when I left home and went to Hollywood and the struggles I went through."

The new Lee Daniels' series Star was one of the shows I was looking forward too, but after suffering through the premiere I realise the show was not worth the wait. Basically, Star is about a poverty stricken Rachel Dolezal lookalike who decides to exploit the culture, music and artistry of black females in order to make it to the top of the music industry and become, you guessed it, a star! The show also has an incredibly stupid murder plot. The inspiration behind the show does not seem exciting either. Danies wanted a badass white girl as the lead character who would do anything to get to the top. Why can't a black actress have this role? We already have Olivia Pope (one of the best characters on network television) who does all of things listed by Daniels? I also do not think white people need a underwhelming Lee Daniels TV show in order to make them feel good about being white. Star takes a well known rags-to-riches, aspiring pop star plot and fails to do anything unique with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment